Thursday, September 20, 2012

Travel Tips | Sri Lanka - Scenic Train from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya

This is what I plan to go and do in my next Sri Lanka trip of which I have no idea when will this ever materialise, but to hope is good right?!

Sri Lanka's scenic train ride from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya!

Was at #Selangorlicious event last night and chatted with Azuan on his future trip to Sri Lanka (apaprently after he saw my entry of this country, eh... betul ke?). He said he will be covering southern part of Sri Lanka as mine was centre of Sri Lanka. Azuan also mentioned that he will not be covering Kandy. Huh!!! But whyyyyyyy....? It's so beautiful and cold (ehhehehheh.... baru rasa cam oversea sikit).


I told him about this scenic route that one must do if ever to visit Kandy. Oh! I did not cover this route and all this pictures are from Mr. Google and I will hyperlink to the rightful owner (if tetiba tak bergambo, makna nye owner suruh remove ler tuh tau).

Since I have yet to try this route and heard so much of it, and as I dont have much info nor experience, I will share details that I think and feel will benefit you.

Hope you will share your experience with me instead.


Kandy to Nuwara Eliya : 78km, 2-2.5 hours per/way by car or scenic train, 3.5 hours (the nearest station is Nanu Oya, 9km away)

From Seat61:
You can check train times using the official Sri Lanka Railways website, www.railway.gov.lk, but please check all times locally.
Nuwara Eliya - Nanu Oya is 6 km from central Nuwara Eliya, with plenty of taxis and auto-rickshaws available.  It's also possible to walk.
Kandy - Peradeniya Junction is only 6km (3½ miles) from central Kandy, easily reached by taxi or tuk-tuk.  It can be used to join trains to Hatton, Nanu Oya, Elle & Badulla that don't call at Kandy.

As on where and what to do in both cities, you can ask Mr. Google as the options are at abundance. But what most people are unaware are the scenic train ride and probably miss one of the greatest experience in Sri Lanka.


Sri Lanka entries :




5 comments:

Biqque said...

i think scenic train in any country would be a must try kan? best nyer!

azuan said...

ni macam post untuk i jer... thank you thank you...

I ambik drebar for all 5 days so on the way to Yala might singgah Kandy :) will discuss with driver. thanks for the tips.

At this point, in my list is Yala, Matara, Galle with train ride from Galle to Colombo.

anyway thank you so much for the tips.. u memang idola!

Nomadic Samuel said...

I would absolutely love to take this train journey! Travelling by train is my favourite method of transportation.

Dan Arif said...

haihh bila la nk sampai sini.. next year nk kena grab jgak la tix pegi colombo

Unknown said...


Cheers!
Great post! Very informative.
Thanks for possibility to write on your website,
it's great!
I’m still hoping there will be more posts on this site.
Thanks a lot!

train travel to us







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...